Under this project over 200 men were mobilized and organized into 20 groups so as to champion violence against women and girls and fight new HIV infections which are mostly promoted by multiple concurrent partnerships and unwilling to access HIV prevention-related services by men.
Men were mobilized to help stop harmful cultural practices that promote violence against women and girls because it was revealed that men are the main beneficiaries of these harmful cultural practices and this is why it is men who promote such cultural beliefs.
During the implementation of the SCORE project, 100 couples reported to have gone for HIV testing as couples which was a challenge before the introduction of this project.
Activities implemented under this project
- Establishment of Men as Protectors Clubs
- Conduct Father and Son camps
- Women Health Days
- Conduct four rounds of cultural dialogue sessions
Achievements so far
- 100 couples knew their HIV status
- 200 men are actively engaged in the fight against violence against women and girls
- Harmful cultural practices were modified e.g. sexual cleansing is now done in a safer way, a widow is no longer sexually cleansed rather a couple is hired
- Contributed to a reduction of stigma and discrimination against people living with HIV, before when a woman is tested HIV positive automatically the marriage is over because it was very hard for the husband to accept even before he is also tested for the same.
To Scale up Sexual Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR) interventions that promote prevention of HIV, TB and SGBV and enhance referrals and uptake of key services for vulnerable women 25-49 years.in Nsanje district Malawi by 2018.